Saturday, 6 February 2016

Baking/Cooking with Heather's World - Shortbread




Hey everyone,

Welcome to my new series where every Saturday you will be able to see a different recipe that I will cook. To start the series of I thought I would go with one of my favourite things to bake which is Shortbread. Be prepared for a picture heavy post.

The recipe that we use is this one http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/butter_shortbread_74896. This is the easiest recipe to find and only uses four ingredients.

The ingredients you will need is:

100g of sugar but we use caster sugar as it's sweeter
200g of unsalted butter
300g of plain flour
1tsp of vanilla extract ( we use a bit more but generally put as much as you want in till you get the flavour you desire)

To start of we weigh the flour and caster sugar using our digital scales, we then put then each in separate bowels till needed. we then measure our butter using our digital scales. Once everything is weighed out we mix the butter and caster sugar together and begin creaming the mixture until it looks  like buttercream.

Once the mixture is creamed we then add the vanilla extract, we tend to add more than what is required. It doesn't' affect the shortbread if you add more so just add enough till you get the desired taste of your buttercream. Once the buttercream is mixed well and tastes how we like we then pour in the flour in a bit at a time. The reason we don't put all the flour in at once is sometimes you may not need it all, it just depends on how your dough is turning out.


Once the mixture is a dough and is formed enough so that you can make a ball with it then it is time to roll it out. We flour our clean surface then put the dough in it and roll it around a few times, so that it will be more manageable when we roll it out. My mum just rolls it out until she feels it is at the right size, we don't tend to stick to any measurements just until it is thick but not to thick.

While she is doing this I will start cutting the greaseproof paper and putting it on the baking trays. My mum will then proceed to cutting the stars out and putting them on the tray. Once she has done a full tray I will start putting wholes in them with my fork so that they bake evenly I will also sprinkle them with some more caster sugar for flavouring.

We then put them in the fridge to chill for 15 minutes as the recipe says.

They then go into the oven to bake at gas mark 4(it's meant to be 3 but our over doesn't get that hot so we put it up by one.They then go into the oven to bake for 15 minutes and your done. We have to bake ours in 3 batches as we can only use the top oven as the bottom would burn them so it takes around 45 minutes total. We managed to get 48 shortbread out of this one batch so was very happy and they taste amazing, they just melt in your mouth.

So there you have it the first in the series, this is one of my favourite things to make I love the smell of them and how they taste. Also I grew up making them so it brings back memories from my childhood.  I hope you liked this post feel free to leave any recipes that you want to see and I will add them to my list. Also feel free to follow any of my social media to keep updated with future ideas and polls.

Thanks for reading,
Until next time,
Heather's World






SHARE:
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig